"There is an intellectual desire, an eros of the mind. Without it there would arise no questioning, no inquiry, no wonder." Bernard Lonergan

"It seems clear that humans cannot significantly reduce or mitigate the dangers inherent in their use of life by ccumulating more information or better theories or by achieving greater predictability or more caution in their scientific and industrial work. To treat life as less than a miracle is to give up on it." Wendell Berry

"Do not be afraid, my little flock, for it is the Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom." Luke 12:32

Monday, December 19, 2011

Christmas Highs and Lows


(clipart from royalty free clipart)

It's almost Christmas.  It's almost here.  I had a Christmas high this week when I stumbled upon a gift given to me years ago by a friend named Frances.  Her father had been a Presbyterian minister, the Rev. R. E. McClure, and had written a book of Christmas verse called When Christmas Comes.  It was a lovely and thoughtful gift.  The opening, titular, poem reads like this:

When Christmas comes, my heart's aglow,
With memories sweet of long ago.

When Christmas comes, my heart grows warm,
With knowledge of God's circling arm.

But Christmas brings a touch of gloom,
For those who have for Christ no room.

No room for Christ, in Bethlehem's Inn,
No room for Christ in lives of sin!

No room for Christ on Christmas Day,
No room for Him, the life, the Way!

There's room for Him in hearts whose beat
Is quickened from His mercy's seat.

When Christmas comes, be this my prayer,
"Lord, Help me live to make men care."

When Christmas comes, my voice would say,
"My heart is open Lord, this day."

The poems were written from the 1930's to the 1960's.  I am touched that she gave me one of her few remaining copies.  Touched by her thoughtful gift.  And as I read the above poem again, I am reminded that our hearts should be ready to receive God and God's love wherever they might be found.  Sounds a little like the verse from the Christmas carol,  O Little Town of Bethlehem, that says: 

No ear may hear his coming, but in this world of sin,
Where meek souls will receive him still the dear Christ enters in.

One more thing to mention - before I get too high on my better than deserved Christmas this year, I am reminded of others for whom Christmas is a real stretch this year.  I am thinking about those in need, the underemployed and the unemployed.  For many Christmas time, because of pressures to buy gifts and presents, is a stressful time.  A time to worry about this Christmas and next Christmas - when a job is elusive and the stress is taking a tremendous toll indeed.  For some in our church family and in our community, Christmas is a low this year.

A columnist from the News and Observer, Barry Saunders, ran this column today about our Career Transition Support Group at WMPC, a group which meets here every Tuesday.  We have great lay people -- Al, John, and Bob who work with CTSG, a truck load of volunteers who give their time, and one of our pastors, Anna Rainey, who works with this valuable group.

You can read the column, here: Holidays Strain Jobless

Take some time to pray this week for somebody who might be in the Christmas lows this year.  These folks need all the prayer and help they can get.

No comments:

Post a Comment